This weekend started off on a good, productive foot, but then Sunday, it got hot, which kind of sapped my will to garden somewhat. I know, it was only in the low 90s, it's going to get a LOT hotter come July, but it is still discouraging to be quite this sweltering quite this soon. Oh well. The peonies (above) seem to be enjoying the warmer weather -- they finally opened up this weekend.Anyway, we still got a lot accomplished. The biggest news: we finished digging up stumps in the front flower beds! Unfortunately, that's on the north side of the house, so it be too shady for a sun-loving bed, but Cole can still now plop down some of her shade-dwellers that she's been holding onto.
Sunday, I planted one hill of zucchini, the purple basil, two little jalapeno seedlings, and interspersed cucumbers in amongst our peas. We also hung chicken wire for a simple trellis for the peas and cukes. The peas are about four inches tall, and should start wrapping around the trellis soon. I found a couple cute broccoflower plants at the Wolf Road Nursery, and planted those in the spots where my broccoli didn't come up. Also, I spotted several shoots of corn, peeking up above their mounds.
Finally, we layed a thin layer of straw around our potatoes. I think we'll need a thicker layer, but for now, they're at least covered.
No comments:
Post a Comment