Monday, February 28, 2011

Peppers down, impatiens up

We've been happily watching Cole's impatiens seedlings popping up to say hello. All four varieties are mostly up at this point. This weekend, we got our old fluorescent lights hooked up and shining on them. We just tonight placed an order for some special fluorescent T5 grow lights that we'll hook up as soon as they get here, but for now, this should be plenty of light to get things rolling.

Tonight, I've got several pepper seeds soaking. I want to get my Bhut Jolokias in the dirt tomorrow. These are supposedly the hardest-to-grow peppers I've ever attempted, so I'm trying to give them every possible advantage. I'm pre-soaking the seeds, planting them in a sterile dirt solution, putting the whole tray (sealed to preserve moisture) on a heat mat, inside a clear plastic greenhouse, and lighting the tray with my blue-and-red grow light LED box. If there are any other tricks that are decent to do to a seed to get it to grow, I don't know what they would be. I'm planting five (of my ten) seeds tonight, so if these don't work out, I can try one more time.

In addition to the Bhut Jolokias, I am also planting my bell peppers (Golden Summer and Lilac) and my purple basil. Good luck, little guys, and good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment